Dignity Health Medical Group - Arizona is seeking a dynamic, clinical, and academic physician leader to help develop and grow a multidisciplinary Palliative Care service line in its flagship location of St. Josephs Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona. This individual will have an instrumental position in nurturing relationships within the hospital, physicians and clinics to implement standards for patient care and deliver excellent patient experience. This leader will ensure the department meets current needs and will address/identify future needs of patients by introducing new technology, services and procedures as well as established quality of care standards.
This physician leader will serve as the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program Director, in partnership with Creighton University Arizona Health Education Alliance, in a 20% protected time dedicated to administration of the program.
- Provide direct patient care in the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Precept two Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellows in training
- Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, with rotational weeknight and weekend hospital and call coverage
- Be part of a multidisciplinary team that provides excellent care for all patients
- Administer and maintain an educational environment conducive to educating the fellows in each of the ACGME core competency areas.
- Oversee and ensure the quality of didactic and clinical education.
- Monitor fellow supervision at all participating sites.
- Prepare and submit all information required and requested by ACGME, including but not limited to annual program updates to WebADS, and ensure information submitted is accurate and complete. Collaborate with DIO and GMEC on accreditation related matters as needed.
- Regularly assess and promote fellow well-being while fostering an environment in which diversity, equity and inclusion are at the forefront of fellows clinical and academic experiences.
- Work with fellows and faculty to create systems such as schedules and programs that maximize learning while minimizing disruption of clinical workflow.
- Oversee and facilitate remediation processes as needed.
- Provide each fellow with documented semiannual evaluation of performance with feedback. Develop processes for program faculty evaluation and continued participation of program faculty based on evaluation.
- A passion for providing clinically excellent care
- MD or DO Degree
- Successful completion of an ACGME accredited residency program and a Hospice and Palliative Medicine or Geriatric Medicine fellowship
- Active board certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Record of involvement in education and scholarly activities, which includes mentoring fellows, serving as a clinical supervisor in an inpatient or outpatient setting, developing curricula and/or participating in didactic activities.
- Served a minimum of two years in clinical practice of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Must have or be eligible for an Arizona state medical license
- Ability to achieve full and unrestricted hospital/surgical privileges at Dignity Health Arizona hospitals
What We Offer
- Highly competitive salary and benefits package
- Sign on bonus / Relocation
- Fully funded pension in addition to 403(b)
- CME benefits
Creighton School of Medicine
For more than a decade, Creighton has had an academic presence in Phoenix, sending medical students to Dignity Health St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center for clinical rotations. That relationship expanded in 2009 when the University and St. Josephs formally established a Creighton campus for third- and fourth-year students. In 2018, it was announced that Creighton would expand once againthis time opening a full four-year medical school campus in Phoenix to become the largest Catholic health professions educator in the nation.
Dignity Health, one of the largest healthcare systems in the nation, is a growing organization with well-resourced, modern facilities and diverse practice opportunities. With more than 39 acute care hospitals in three states and 9,000 physicians, Dignity Health touches the lives of thousands of people and provides nearly $2 billion in charity care to the communities it serves.
Dignity Health Medical Group is the employed physician group serving the Arizona Service Area. Covering over 45 practice sites, complementing clinical services with translational and bench research, our integrated medical group employs in excess of 250 healthcare providers throughout the valley. Dignity Health Medical Group is continuously expanding in order to meet the needs of the growing patient population in Arizona. With a unified vision of becoming an organization where physicians, care teams and staff come to do their best work--and patients come for the best care--Dignity Health Medical Group is searching for exceptional talent that is patient focused and team-oriented, who can become a part of our mission-driven organization.
Like its legendary namesake rising out of the ashes, the greater Phoenix area has emerged as one of the bright metropolitan areas of the 21st century. The Phoenix area encompasses more than 20 incorporated cities, including Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa, and all serve as a timeless Southwestern backdrop to the spirit of Puebloans, cowboys, miners, and visionaries. Recently, the Census Bureau named Arizonas Maricopa County, which includes the greater Phoenix metro area, the county with the nations highest annual population growth. Home to more than 4 million residents where everyone has a sunny disposition, the Phoenix area also ranks as the sixth-largest city in the United States. Phoenix is a premier destination offering the best of both worlds: a growing and diverse economy and a great place to live with more than 300 sun-filled days a year and an almost endless supply of attractions including:
- 189 city parks, 33,000 acres of desert preserves, and 200 miles of trails
- Host to MLB Spring Training and the annual Fiesta Bowl
- Home of the Phoenix Open and 200 golf courses
- Professional sports teams including the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Arizona Cardinals.
- Host to 5 Fortune 500 company headquarters
- The Best Mexican Food North of the Border
- Affordable housing and cost of living
- A family-friendly area, with the Childrens Museum of Phoenix, ample youth sports and athletic leagues, the Challenger Space Center Arizona, a wide variety of school options, including public, private, magnet, and charter, the Phoenix Zoo, large water parks, SEA LIFE Arizona, and many more!
The Phoenix area is also a destination for people from all over the world to receive outstanding healthcare. This is particularly true of Dignity Healths St. Josephs Hospital and Medical Center - home to the world-renown Barrow Neurological Institute and The Norton Thoracic Institute - #1 lung transplant program in the U.S. - as well as many other world-class healthcare services and teaching programs.
CommonSpirit Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here.