Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
This position is accountable to align the appropriate Care Centers at Mary Washington Healthcare and to provide strategic direction to meet the needs of the market place in which it serves. This position serves as a professional role model, leader, and mentor to members of the healthcare team in accordance with organizational and departmental philosophy and goals. This position represents the service and is a liaison to internal and external customers. The Director coordinates the development of an environment that promotes excellence in clinical practice and customer satisfaction, while striving for optimal efficiency and productivity of all resources. This position must demonstrate a commitment for high quality, low cost care to our patients, the public, our Associates, and physicians. This position's duties and responsibilities will be carried out by working cooperatively and in coordination with the Chief of Service. This position will also serve as a member of the Nursing Executive Council (NEC).
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Facilitates coordination, communication and collaboration among the Nurse Managers within the Medical or Surgical Care Center, Education Coordinator and Clinical Nurse Specialist, staff, physicians, ancillary departments, the community, and hospital administration in order to provide quality patient care in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Develop a business plan which will define the scope of services, establish objectives and provide ongoing evaluation of the plan with guidance from physicians and hospital administration.
- Role models the Mission, Vision, and Values of Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC). Fosters and promotes positive interactive behavior and communication with all members of the health care team to support a customer service culture
- Delegates authority, sets expectations and holds team accountable. Develops performance indicators for all critical operations, evaluates outcomes and provides timely feedback
- Collaborates with Senior Leadership and the health care team to plan and manage departmental budget.
- Possesses knowledge of regulatory requirements related to the service (JCAHO, EMTALA, Virginia State Health Department) and develops methodologies to review and ensure compliance.
- Participates with the Nurse Manager(s), Education Coordinator/Clinical Nurse Specialist (where applicable), and health care team in the recruitment, selection, orientation, and retention process. Provides coaching, counseling and mentoring as appropriate.
- Develops, coaches and mentors appropriate managerial staff to supervise day to day operations to support the Associates who provide care.
- Develops processes and methodologies to coordinate resolution of customer satisfaction and quality issues. Participates in clinical reviews as needed.
- Utilizes the performance improvement process to identify opportunities for improving outcomes in clinical effectiveness, clinical practice, service operations, and standards.
- Collaborates with the appropriate leadership to develop and implement improvements accordingly. Collaborates with Nurse Educators to develop annual competency and service educational plan to ensure the delivery of quality care.
- Provides oversight for the development and implementation of standards. Integrates technology resources with plans and needs for departmental growth.
- Maintains professional competencies by attending educational programs and participating in professional organizations.
- Utilizes measurable outcomes and benchmarks to ensure operational efficiency, service quality/accuracy, reporting timeliness and cost-effective resource utilization.
- Develops and implements an operational budget which optimizes cost effectiveness, service and quality.
- Fosters and promotes positive interactive behavior and communication with all members of the health care team to support the Health System's customer service culture,
- Challenges status quo, embraces diversity, implements change management strategies and fosters empowerment of the health care team.
- Utilizes benchmarking and networking in strategic planning for departmental growth in conjunction with performance improvement processes to meet organizational and community goals.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited program of professional nursing. Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing required. Master degree in nursing, hospital or business administration preferred.
- Must possess current license as a Registered Nurse from the State of Virginia.
- Minimum 6 years nursing experience.
- Minimum 4 years clinical management experience.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal and written communication.
- Experience with electronic systems and programs.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Must possess excellent communication skills and team building skills.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.