When not scheduled for Intensivist duties, the PI willassume the role of consulting pulmonologist. As such, s/he will perform inpatient/outpatient procedures, inpatient/outpatient consultations, and inpatient/outpatient follow-up care.
Specific Intensivist Responsibilities:
* Examine and evaluate each patient after admission to the ICU and notify the admitting physician of assessment and recommendations.
* Perform and document a Critical Care Medicine consultation on all ICU patients, as requested by attending physician.
* Write ICU orders in consultation with the admitting physician as deemed necessary for optimal care.
* Perform and document subsequent evaluation of all patients in the ICU on a routine basis and as requested by the attending physician.
* Coordinate with the admitting physician and consultants to organize diagnostic and treatment plans for all Intensive Care Unit patients.
* Participate in the Rapid Response Team (RRT) and Code Blue Team per hospital policy.
* Perform and document diagnostic/therapeutic procedures within the scope of individual clinical privileges.
* Respond to cardiac and respiratory arrests in the ICU, during regularly scheduled duty hours.
* Sign out to the attending physician, to assure an informed transition of care.
* Complete off-duty summary notes when leaving ICU service.
* Assist in the appropriate transfer of patients
* Participate in multi-disciplinary patient care rounds.
Specific Pulmonologist Duties:
* Diagnose, treat, and manage patients with pulmonary diseases according to accepted standards of care.
* Perform outpatient consultations for pulmonary disease.
* Provide inpatient consultations for pulmonary disease.
* Perform invasive procedures for which s/he has been trained and granted privileges.
* May admit ICU patients, as the primary attending for patients with pulmonary diseases and/or those requiring assisted ventilation.
* Interpret pulmonary function tests.
* With appropriate skills and certifications, may participate in the Sleep Medicine Program.
* Participate in the educational programs for the ICU unit personnel as well as the medical staff.
* Participate in monitoring the quality, safety and appropriateness of patient care.
* Attendance at Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Committee meetings is mandatory.
* Participate in developing and updating policies and procedures specific to the ICU.
* Demonstrate ethical conduct and serve as a positive role model to others at all levels of the organization.
* Participate in quality assurance programs and chart reviews.
* Attend Medical Service staff meetings and Medical/Dental Staff meetings.
* Complete medical records in accordance with Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff.
* Participate in Medical Staff committee assignments.
* Perform other duties assigned by the Associate Chief of Staff for Hospital and Specialty Medicine services.
Work Schedule:8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday, excluding recognized Federal holidays. Night, holiday and weekend call duties are not anticipated, unless mutually agreed upon in advance.
Functional Statement/Scope of PracticeTitle/#:Pulmonologist/Intensivist/000000
Citizenship of the United States. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Board Certification or eligibility in Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine by the appropriate accrediting agencies.
Current BLS and ACLS certification
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:?, This position requires a full range of physical activity, including lifting and carrying, pulling, pushing, reaching at and above the shoulders, use of both hands and fingers, walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, and repeated bending. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, adequate hearing (aid permitted), mental and emotional stability required. All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s): *Resume
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Cover Letter *DD-214 *OF-306 *Other *SF-50 *Transcript
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1948944.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
Merchant Privacy Statement Your right to privacy is important. Our organization believes that the personal information you choose to furnish online should only be used to help us provide you with the highest quality services and support. We will not share this information with any other party.
We do not share your credit card information with any outside parties.