The North Texas VA Healthcare System, Dallas VA Medical Center is actively recruiting a part-time Otolaryngologist thatspecialized in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, to participate in our clinical practice and teaching programs. We have an activeaffiliation with UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a UT faculty appointment is anticipated for the accepted candidate. Facultyrank will be dependent upon academic credentials and experience. Candidates will be expected to participate in the clinicalpractice and teaching programs at VA North Texas Health Care System. Clinical responsibilities include the full spectrum ofoperative and non-operative management of otolaryngology patients for head and neck surgery to include head and neck surgicaloncology including free flaps. An otolaryngologist at VANTHCS is expected to participate in the education and training of ourresidents and medical students. Research clinical/basic science is strongly emphasized at our institution and candidates with suchinterest will be desired.
Work Schedule: Work schedule varies. Hours are 40per pay period. Nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call may be required depending upon the needs of the service.
Functional Statement Title: Physician (Otolaryngologist).
Preferred Experience: Board certification or Board Eligible (obtain certification within 24 months of hire) in Otolaryngology is preferred but not required at time of hire.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office. Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 8 hours); Crawling (up to 1 hour); Kneeling (up to 1 hour); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16", to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted), Sound mental and emotional stability required. You must provide a complete Application Package which includes the below documents:
2. VA Form 10-2850, Application for Physician (Available at http://vaww4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf).
3. Occupational Questionnaire.If applying online, you will be prompted to respond electronically. If submitting application via fax, you must complete the 1203FX.
4. IF current/former Federal employee, you MUST include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. You may obtain this from your current Human Resources office or your e-Official Personnel Folder. The SF-50 must display: Title, Pay Plan, Occ Code, Grade, tenure, and Position Occupied. This includes ICTAP/CTAP documentation for displaced Federal employees, to include a copy of the agency notice in addition to your last SF-50.
5. IF prior military service, you MUST include a copy of your DD-214 Form for each period of service(Member-4 copy showing type of discharge and dates of service). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability must also submit a copy of your DD-214 may be requested by calling 800-827-1000 or TDD# 800-829-4833. If you are on terminal leave from active duty, attach a letter from your commander indicating the data of discharge and type of discharge.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1941135.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.