The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is recruiting for an experiencedPhysician.The candidate will have significant accomplishments in clinical practice, educational activities, research or administration which clearly distinguish the physician as having the highest professional qualifications. Assignment to other areas within the service line, Medical Center or CBOC's may be required. Come join our Geriatrics Program, a group of dedicated, hard-working physicians and Physician Assistant's caring for veterans in the Community Living Center (CLC) and Home Based Primary Care Program (HBPC)located in Sioux Falls, SD. Our CLC is composed of two units, currently staffed for 58 beds, comprising skilled care, short-stay, long-stay, dementia care, and hospice care. Major duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide comprehensive and continuing health and medical care to CLC residents admitted for various medical and rehab reasons, admission history and physical (H&P), follow up care, participation in interdisciplinary team or family meetings, discharging patients and coordinating care of Veterans residing in CLC units.
- Provide care to hospice and palliative care (HPC) patients admitted to CLC units.
- Oversee Physician Assistant/Certified Nurse Practitioners assigned to CLC and his/her care of CLC residents.
- Lead staff meetings.
- Provide or share duty tosupervisionPhysician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners who care for HBPC Veterans. This includes attending team meetings and being accessible during working hours for questions from PA-C/CNP.
- Sustain collaborative working relationships with other staff, assist in resolving conflicts, and contribute to the accomplishment of VISN, health system and clinic strategic goals and performance measures.
- Actively demonstrates the ability to understand the complexity of an integrated health care delivery system and how change affects the system as a whole. Manage multiple task/priorities, and productively contributes to the health care delivery team.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty for this positionis typically Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. More information about the tour of duty will be discussed in the interview.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician CLC/HBPC
Throughout the duration of this vacancy announcement, applications that are received will be referred to the selecting official on a bi-weekly basis.
- Citizenship. Citizenship of the United States. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with section A, chapter 3, paragraph 3g of VA Handbook 5005.
- Education. Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
(1) Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or
(2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
(3) For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Education Commission for Foreign Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
- Licensure and Registration. Physicians must possess a current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Residency Training. Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are:
(1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or
(2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
- Physical requirements.Outlined below.
- English Language Proficiency. Physicians appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Preferred Experience:Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Geriatric Medicine. Geriatric fellowship preferred.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2, Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the Human Resources Office.
Note: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Physical Requirements: Periods of long standing. Occasional lifting of moderately heavy objects. Long periods of sitting at a computer station. Rigid deadlines and the need for high degree of accuracy, high stress situations, and the ability to adapt work plans based on patient status.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the following REQUIRED material listed below:
- Complete and current professional resume or CV.
- VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors. Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Listed within the Application Manager program when you click on the "Apply Online" button).
- Please use the checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD-214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1926764.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.